Saturday, October 01, 2005

A Question For Believers

One subject that I really don't like to touch online is religion. I was raised Jewish, but I'm very secular in my life right now. I'm not a fan of organized religion, for reasons that I won't get into. I guess you could best describe me as an agnostic. Some would say that an agnostic is just an atheist with an insurance policy, but in my case it is an extension of my logical nature. (I'm definitely more a thinker than a feeler.) Truth be told, I hope that there is a supreme deity and that there's some kind of existence to look forward to after this one, but I've not seen evidence yet. It is because of that hope that I maintain a degree of spiritual consciousness. However, I cannot pray. This is a story that I haven't told that many people, so consider this a Jaymeister secret revealed:

I grew up in the 70's and 80's, during the height of the cold war. Anybody my age will remember what a profound impact the TV movie The Day After had on us. What it portrayed was actually nowhere near as bad as what would happen after a real nuclear attack, but it was still horrifying. A few months earlier there had been another TV movie called Special Bulletin about nuclear terrorism (which, BTW, was way ahead of its time in its portrayal of the news media) that also scared the bejeezas out of me. So after watching The Day After, lying in bed sleepless, I had a silent conversation with God. I told Him that if He could prevent a nuclear war from breaking out, I would not ever again ask him for anything. So far, we've both held up our ends. But that's why I can never honestly tell someone that they are in my prayers.

I've seen exchanges between believers and non-believers online, and I don't want to touch them with a ten foot pole. While religion is just another subject of debate for me, for someone else it's the very core of their existence, and I'm sensitive to that fact. Sometimes I'll see something in a religious context that I find to be totally outrageous, and I'll bite my tongue (or my typing fingers.) But I realize that a number of conservatives with whom I have had good exchanges are devout Christians, and I have a pressing question about that regarding political discourse, so I hope one of them will be kind enough to indulge me with an answer.

Many on the Right refer to American protesters of U.S. foreign policy as the "Hate America" crowd, and believe their criticism necessarily equates a hate for the country and all it stands for. So my question is how do you, as a Christian, reconcile your condemnation of your political adversaries for "hating America" with the basic Christian tenet of loving the sinner while hating the sin? In other words, can somebody not hate an action taken by America without hating America? Does their criticism not prove that they, in fact, love America? I ask this not out of disrespect, but because it has been on my mind for a while and my curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. I thank you in advance for setting me straight, and will try to avoid any more such inquiries.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put, Jaymeister.

I would agree. I am also what you might call a "militant agnostic." Or better yet, count me among the undecided.

To me, organized religion is about power and control. It really has little to do with spirituality or concern for our fellow man.

People should break free of of organized religion's chains and learn to think critically.

It seems to me that is the only way for all of us to get along.

10/02/2005 04:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Dude, I was born in '64. I take it we're close to the same age.

"The Day After" ... "Alas Babylon" (required reading in college fresman lit) ... Reagan sabre-rattling ... Strrategic Defense Initiative ... New Testament survey class in college ... my own systematic deconstruction of the relgion I grew up in (Southern Baptist) -- ALL left me with the thinnest strand of faith for many years. But it has held. (Oh, and all that stuff also made me a leftist for a while, and a Dem to this day). :-) You give good boog. Come see me at my place: http;//eruditeredneck.blogspot.com

--ER

10/03/2005 10:12:00 a.m.  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Ha! boog = blog!

--ER

10/03/2005 10:12:00 a.m.  
Blogger Jaymeister said...

Thanks, ER. Maybe I'll rename my page "The Boog". :-)

And I have indeed been to your place. Very impressive. Thanks for checking mine out.

(I'll soon have a blogroll on here. Since Lores has been kind enough to have me on hers, I need to reciprocate soon.)

10/03/2005 10:31:00 a.m.  
Blogger Jaymeister said...

Lores,

Thank you for your response. I respect your opinions and your faith, and I don't mean to lump anybody into a stereotype of the "Religious Right". To be honest, I don't have any real frustration with them, just disagreement and suspicion. I can see how it would be someone like yourself - a true Christian and true conservative - who might be more frustrated with them if you felt they were misrepresenting your faith while being seen to speak for you. Just as I feel frustration with some of the more unthinking wingnuts on the Left. Please do not feel the need to apologize for others - I know they don't speak for you.

10/03/2005 05:13:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home