Saturday, November 12, 2005

Four Months

Today is my four month anniversary since the start of this blog. And despite all of my ambitions, I had no idea that I'd have enough ideas to keep this thing going on an almost daily basis for this long. I've certainly been helped along by events in the news, since this has been a tumultuous period. But I've had my good posts and weak posts (this one being among the latter), so I have great respect for those who are able to write something compelling each and every day.

When I started this I had pledged to post every day. This has evolved into a six day a week project, as I generally don't post on Friday nights. No, it's not because I'm observing Shabbat. I tend to hit the wall on Friday, and like to just crash (or is the modern word "chillax"?) if I'm not engaged in a leisure activity. My brain is half dead anyway, so I wouldn't have much to contribute. I usually write my posts late at night, so don't get a lot of sleep during the week. At first I would stay up until it was complete, whenever that was, but now I try to be reasonable and sometimes clean things up the next morning. Even still, I have sleep to catch up on Friday night. If anybody tells you that sleep doesn't work that way, I can vouch for the fact that it does.

While I've been writing here for four months, I had been reading the blogs of others for a few months prior to that. The mainstream media talks about blogs as hotbeds of political discussion, which indeed some are. But if you click on the "NEXT BLOG" button at the top of this page, and keep scrolling through other blogs, you'll see that most of them don't have to do with politics at all. You'll find blogs on everything from stamp collecting to relationship problems. That is why I encourage anybody with regular internet access to keep a blog, on whatever topic. I think that my blog's biggest strength, or biggest weakness, is that it has no theme. I've mentioned before that I have a great interest in politics, but I'm not a junkie. So I prefer to write about whatever I fancy on a particular day, and not get bogged down in the repetition that afflicts blogs that are strictly political. I hope I've been able to keep a civil tone here, and promise to continue the effort to be unbalanced but fair.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to another four months of fun and frivolity, with the odd pithy insight. And by the end of the next four months, I'll have my links and blogroll up. I promise!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home