Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Rough Greens & Black Socks

Last Friday I got to enjoy a real treat - getting off work early to play a twilight round of golf. It was also a treat to have RM dust me again on the course. Actually, this time we shot almost the same score but she looked good doing it. Now, that's really a redundant statement, because looking good comes to RM like breathing comes to the rest of us, but in this case I'm referring to her swing. She has beautiful form and tempo. I, on the other hand, have my fidgety, herky-jerky motion that sometimes lucks out into a good shot. Like when I made a great chip-in on the 9th hole - for a 7.


We played at Tam O'Shanter, one of the municipal courses in Toronto. I have to say that for a muni, it isn't too bad a track. There's a nice variety of holes and it has all the challenges you would want in a round of golf, but it's also playable for duffers like me. But because it's a muni, it isn't kept in the best of shape. On the 17th hole all four of us in the group hit beautiful drives in the middle of the fairway, and none of us found grass. It was just a giant patch of dirt. And a variety of droppings. The greens were in rough shape too - although I haven't found too many normal greens this year because it has been so dry.


RM and I were in a group with a couple of guys who came as singles and who shall not be identified except as "Black Sox" and "Mr. Know-It-All". Sox was far from a joy to play with. He didn't pay much attention to anyone else's game, he had a unique talent of smoking every time I was downwind of him, and he liked to adjust his bodily equipment with the shaft of his club. And those calf-length black socks with shorts and white shoes were very off-putting. As for Mr. K-I-A, I think he missed his calling as a drive-by golf and life counsellor. A dedicated student of the game like him should realize the first rule of etiquette in golf - don't give unsolicited advice. Also, don't stop me in mid-swing because you're spooked by someone walking about 250 yards away on the adjacent hole. And if you're going to tout your reservoir of quick fixes, at least bring some game to show you can also walk the walk.


Overall, it was really an enjoyable afternoon. I can't wait to get out playing again - this is more addictive and expensive than crack. I'm looking forward to watching The Open Championship this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home