Friday, December 23, 2005

The Master of My Domain

I just gave myself an inexpensive Hanukkah present. For no real reason, I was curious to see what kind of site would turn up at the URL www.jaymeister.com. And you know what? It wasn't registered! I was shocked, because Jaymeister is often already taken when I try to register it as a login name at websites. I must have tried a dozen different variations of it to set up this Blogger account, before settling on a very random username. So I was quite happy to pay the nominal fee to register the domain name. Eventually I will have my own website at that address but, for now, jaymeister.com and www.jaymeister.com will forward you right here. I have a great sense of ownership now.

All this begs the question, "Why Jaymeister?" I wish I had an answer to that. At least three different people have called me that independently over the years - I guess the gets some kind of kick out of adding the suffix "-meister" to people's names. And since it's kind of catchy, and the most palatable of my nicknames, that is what I am. I have used the self-assigned "DiamondDog" at some sites where Jaymeister wasn't available, because it sounds cool and I really like the Bowie song. But no nickname is worthwhile if you give it to yourself, so Jaymeister it is. And now it's all mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home